Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Re: Analysis of Directional Movement, part 2

Re: Analysis of Directional Movement, part 2
Submitted by Oliver Bandel - June 7, 2002

[The following was originally posted on LabanTalk and CMAPlus, May 30, 2002]

[Ann Hutchinson Guest wrote:] "This is a quick answer to Leslie Bishko, Feb. 23rd letter, and Jeffrey Longstaff, Feb. 23rd letter. It sounds to me as though it is time for you to learn Advanced Labanotation! There we go into the range of directional analysis." [See Guest, Theory Bulletin Board, “Names for What We Do” thread, June 7, 2002]

[Oliver Bandel responds:] I'm interested in it too. I started learning it, but didn't get it until now.

[Ann Hutchinson Guest wrote:] “Jeffrey: Directions in Labanotation are not based on a cubic-based network. Nor on the icosahedon or any other spatial model. They are based on the anatomical model. Eshkol-Wachmann gives a fine analysis if this; the same analysis is used in Labanotation.

Thank you for your work on Vector Symbols, I look forward to having time to study what you have discovered.” [See the above link] 
[Oliver Bandel responds:] Sounds interesting. I don't have the old mails of this list, because I'm new to this list; I will start my Laban-Bartenieff-education this year in Germany. (Is there an archive of this list?)

What symbols are these? Is there an archive of the list? Are there web pages, where "the work in progress" can be viewed?

Vector-based notation sounds very interesting. Are there vector-based symbols for turns too? I think about using such, because turns maybe can be better explained and understood, if using symbols/ideas, coming from physicist's reasoning (spin, (german:) "Drehimpuls" and such).

Btw: I am thinking about writing a program for choreographing with Labanotation. It should include a dance-specific (or laban-specific) command-language. I need to know the complete Laban-notation for that case, and think about implementing conversion between pattern-languages ("plie", "tondue" in ballet, or "shuffle" in tap dance and converting this to detailed Labanotation, as well as the opposite way: using pattern-recognition-algorithms to recognize the patterns of dance styles out of a given detailed Labanotation). (A 3D-animation of dancer should be included too. I didn't test lint/nude, because I couldn't get it working.)

Are there any researchers working on such field, or is animation of figures only a field of filmmakers, and implementing domain specific (computer) languages not known in this area?

No comments:

Post a Comment