Monday, January 25, 2010

Response to Charlotte Wile's "Specific and General Indications for the Amount of Energy in Effort Phrasing", part 1


Response to Charlotte Wile's "Specific and General Indications for the Amount of Energy in Effort Phrasing", part 1
Submitted by Peggy Hackney - November 14, 2000


I agree that the sign you propose for Even Phrasing (the one with the "equal" sign, your 1b) is good as a specific Phrasing symbol. The Addition Bow with an Effort in it, such as Direct Bound, also works for me, because if I am adding the Effort at the same intensity throughout, it will produce Even Phrasing.
 

I also like the terms "slight to moderate emphasis" and "marked emphasis" (what you present in 2a and 2b).
 

I agree that your patterns of phrasing in 3 a,b,c,d, and e are types we don't usually consider. I will start playing with those and see what specific examples my students and I can discover.
In relation to your point #4--I feel the Increase and Decrease signs can be used for other than Effort specifically when they do not have the closed end to the Increase or Decrease sign. This would then leave the closed-end sign to be for Effort Phrasing.
 

I do use the letter "K" inside a circle to indicate Kinesphere, and I don't feel that it is confusing, because the sign for "folding over the right side of the body" is not contained in a circle. If anyone else has a better sign for Kinesphere, I would definitely like to see it--particularly if it can also be used with the space measurement symbols to show size of Kinesphere (small, medium, large).

No comments:

Post a Comment